Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A LATE START TO A GOOD DAY

My day started at what I thought was 4:30 AM.  I heard Mike get up to put the dog out and when he came back to bed I thought it had to be around 4:30; close to gettin' up time. I asked him what time it was, but before he could answer I looked at my alarm clock and it was almost 6:00.  What?!!!  I usually leave the house around 6:15.  Whoops!!!
Well, it didn't take me long to hop out of bed.  I quickly jumped in and out of the shower, got dressed, did my hair and make-up and had a very quick breakfast before heading out the door at 6:45.  I had to stop at the bank on my way to work to make a deposit too. Fortunately the traffic wasn't bad and I got to work by 7:30.
The morning went by quickly and soon it was 11:00.  About 8 of us from the department I work in went to lunch at Chipotle. Lunch was on the company. Right next door was Yogurtland and someone suggested going there afterwards ... so we did.  Yogurtland has different flavors of frozen yogurt and you put as much as you want in a cup and you're charged according to the weight. I didn't get a lot, but enjoyed a little chocolate, peanut butter and coconut. This too was on the company.  :)
From there we drove down the street to a Salvation Army church to volunteer. We spent the next 3 hours decorating their church for them.  It was a lot of fun.
However, there was one girl (Michelle) in our group of 8 who was helping put up several of the nativity's and she said she would just hand me the pieces because she didn't have a clue how to set a nativity up. She didn't know about the shepherds or the wise men. The nativity we were setting up was in a glass display case that didn't have enough room to put everything on one shelf because the figurines were large. So I told her we'd put the shepherds and sheep near Jesus, Mary & Joseph and that we'd put the wise men and camels on the lower shelf since they didn't come right away.  Her response was, "Really? But the shepherds were there?" So I briefly told her about the angels in the sky making their announcement to the shepherds, but that it took the wise men two years as they followed the star.
After we were all done for the day, my friend (and supervisor) Sharon and I were talking with Michelle and complimenting each other on all the good decorating, and Sharon mentioned about the 3 gifts of the wise men - gold, frankincense and myrrh. Michelle asked what frankincense and myrrh were.  We were able to share with her that the gold symbolized Jesus as king, the frankincense His priesthood and the myrrh symbolized His death.  I told her that the reason Jesus was born was so He could die for our sins.
Michelle told us that she didn't go to church, but I have to tell you that I am dumbstruck that she knew nothing about the nativity. NOTHING! This is America, people!  This should not be!
After leaving the Salvation Army I decided to stop by our church on my way home and take down the Fall decorations so we could be ready to "deck the halls" Sunday after church.  I was kinda in the mood to decorate for Christmas, but knew I needed to wait. Then I came home and relaxed and will be heading to bed soon ... but checking my alarm first.  :)
Today I'm thankful for the opportunity to plant a seed.  I am praying that God uses today to speak to Michelle's heart. I am also praying about how God might want to use me.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like day that started in a whirlwind, turned out to be a blessing. So glad that you were able to tell Michelle the meaning of the Nativity.

    ReplyDelete