Friday, November 8, 2013

SAILING, SAILING

So today was a very busy day.  I went in to work until noon
and then headed home briefly before going to a funeral this
afternoon.
After the funeral we came home - briefly - and then headed to
downtown San Diego.  Tonight was a dinner cruise on the Lord Hornblower ... a gift to church planters from NAMB (North American Mission Board).
As we got closer to downtown it was getting foggier and foggier.  We parked the car and then hiked to the pier.  It was a 15 minute walk.  We weren't sure if the ship would actually cruise because of the fog, but after boarding it wasn't long before the fog started to lift and we set out.  I was feeling queezy as we started to move.  As long as I  didn't look out the windows I was fine.  But watching the pier move in the opposite direction as the ship moved made me a bit dizzy.  Once we were out  in the bay it wasn't as bad unless the ship was turning and then I'd feel nauseous again. At times I couldn't tell if we were going forward or backward even though we were always going forward.  Such an illusion! Made me feel ill!
The meal was excellent.  I had chicken and Mike had steak.  The other option was salmon. For dessert we had cheesecake.  Mmmm Mmmmm!  Let me tell you, I saved most of my calories for tonight's meal.  There was music and dancing and it was fun to watch. A guy even proposed on board.
The fellowship was great too.  The stomach was glad to get back on dry land.
As we were making our 15 minute hike back to the parking lot around 10:15, there were less and less people around.  We saw a homeless person wrapped in blankets sleeping and several other questionable people.  However, as we got a little closer to the parking lot two girls were running toward the pier where the ferry docks.  When they got there they found out they had missed the boat ... literally! We heard them say "How are we going to get back?!" I asked them what was going on and they explained they had missed the last ferry back to Coronado.  So we told them we would take them back.  There was no way I was going to leave to young girls alone at 10:30 at night.  They agreed to let us take them and Mike told them we had just been on a dinner cruise with the San Diego Southern Baptist Association so we were safe.  HaHa!
As we got to the car and got in I went into Mom-mode and told them I sure hope if we were two guys you would not have accepted a ride.  Anyway we got them back to their home in Coronado safe and sound.  However, these were two cute little sophomore girls.  What parents allow this?!  I was glad we came along and that they trusted us to help them.
Now we are home and my bed is definitely calling me, but I had to blog before the day was out.  I have 3 minutes until midnight.
Today I'm thankful that we were in the right place at the right time to be able to help Kayla and Carly.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you were there to help those two girls that's scary! Sorry you were feeling nauseous while on your dinner cruise :( sound like it was fun otherwise and you had a nice meal and a date with your hubby! love you!

    ReplyDelete