Monday, November 4, 2013

BUSY MONDAY

My day started out at 5 AM and I wished I could sleep longer.  The traffic was horrendous going in to work and it made me feel more tired. However, I did manage to wake up and the morning went by quickly.  I always like when the workday moves fast.
I got off work at 3:30 and knew I needed to head quickly to one of the many Wal-Mart stores so I could buy two turkeys.  This coming Sunday is our monthly fellowship dinner at church and we decided to go with a Thanksgiving dinner.  One of the ladies in the church will cook both turkeys, but I needed to buy them and take them to her.  I arrived at Wal-Mart at 4:15. Of course, I had to buy a few things for myself too.  However, you would have thought it was Thanksgiving Eve with the number of people who were at the stores and the empty shelves.
I left Wal-Mart and drove to Pat's house to drop off the turkeys.  I helped her carry them into her house and then she wanted to talk. Oh my.  I really didn't have time, but of course, I wasn't rude and did stay and talk or awhile.  Finally was on my way home and got home at 5:15. When I got home Mike wanted to know what was for dinner.  I told him it smelled like he'd already made something.  He said he cooked some sausages on the grill, but would like something to go with them.  Groan!  So I through some Potatoes O'Brian in a skillet and made a salad.  While the potatoes were frying I ran a load of laundry and helped Mike change one of the porch light bulbs. WHEW!
Back in the house I served up the bacon - uh, I mean, the sausage, potatoes and salad.  I myself decided I just wanted a shake (meal replacement).  You see, I was in a hurry because I knew Mike had to be back at church before 6:30 because all this week the church will be open for 2 hours each night for people to come in for prayer.  I myself was waiting for a lady - her name is Margrit - from church to pick me up after she got off work so we could go visit another lady (Ellen) who is in a care center recuperating from a punctured lung. Neither Margrit or I know Ellen that well, so it was good to have each other.  
We had a nice visit with Ellen and hopefully brought some encouragement to her and her husband (Geno) who I work with.  Apparently this care center is not for just short term recovery/therapy, but also long term care.  We met a lady who has been there for 5 years because she had a stroke and her children "don't love her."  That's what she told us.  How sad!  Geno said he met a man who has lived there for 14 years!  Ellen said it can be a depressing place.  The good thing, I told her, is that she knows she doesn't have to stay and that she will be able to go home.  However,  Ellen is also an alcoholic and we are all praying she will be willing to get help the help she needs for that.  She says she doesn't want to drink, but because she doesn't work, doesn't have a purpose in life and has a low self-esteem, she easily falls off the wagon. So we continue to pray for her.
I also enjoyed visiting with Margrit tonight and getting to know her a little better.  Got home around 7:30 and I'm in my jams, watching a Christimas movie (what else?) and waiting for Mike to come home.  Will be in bed soon.
Today I'm thankful for friendship - both old and new.

2 comments:

  1. You sure lead an exhausting life! Seems people always want to talk when you don't have time. Even though it's a pain in the moment, usually I realize it probably made their day or at least helped them out to have someone to talk to. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am exhausted reading this. I know if I had to, I could do what you do, prob unwillingly. :O Hope your Tuesday was a little slower paced for you. Love you, janet

    ReplyDelete