Sunday, November 24, 2013

IN THE TRENCHES

In the trenches is exactly how I felt after being in the Toddler Room during church today!  Wow!  I had 3 little boys: one 2 year old and two 3 year olds. The first problem was when the mom of the 2 year old and one of the 3 year olds came into the room and then left and then came back and then left again.  The two year old was NOT happy that mom left ... either time.  And he didn't just cry; he screamed!
When I couldn't console him, I decided I would take them outside to the playground. Just right outside the door awaited my reprieve.  :)  Thank goodness for San Diego climate.  Although a little cool, it was a beautiful morning!  So I let them run and play. I really wanted to be able at some point to sit them down and read a story, but that wasn't going to happen. In fact, it may not happen for awhile.
You see, these kids - the 3 I had and the 2 the other teacher had in another room - are not "church" kids and their parents are not "church" parents and the children aren't disciplined in any way.  So sad really, but it makes it extremely challenging for the childcare giver / teacher.  When Margrit (the other teacher) and I debriefed afterwards she said it correctly - "We are truly in a mission field."  Oh yeah.
Let's just hope we can all keep our sanity as we are in the trenches week after week.  There are 3 other ladies in the church who are rotating through this ministry, so that's good.
While I've been in the children's area I have been noting several improvements that need to take place - both cosmetically and for safety purposes.  You see, our church hasn't had children in quite awhile and it's been just recently that we've had children.  We are very thankful.  But I'm afraid the children's area has been neglected and needs some sprucing.  The other ladies and I will be getting together soon to discuss and brainstorm.  In the meantime, I sent our Deacons an email to give them a heads-up of my observations.  Hoping we can get some things taken care of soon.
We had a new family visit our church today and a single mom and her two children come back for the 2nd week.
After church, Mike and one of the other men delivered the last Thanksgiving food box. Then we went to get something to eat at one of the malls.  Saw that the movie based on Max Lucado's book, "The Christmas Candle" is showing there.  Would like to see it sometime, but don't know when.
Came home and put on my jammies. Always feels good to relax.  Started watching a new Hallmark movie, "Window Wonderland", but just couldn't get interested.  I'm disappointed in this year's Hallmark movies.  There's only one new one that I've liked and that was "The Christmas Ornament" with Kelly Martin.
Well, only 3 days of work this week.  I won't have any trouble sleeping tonight. I'm tired already and it's only 6:00.
Today I'm thankful for the growth we are seeing at our church. It's a hard work, but God will do it because it's HIS church, not ours.

2 comments:

  1. I totally get the whole child care thing!!! It's never easy...and sometimes at the Y have have 15 of them alone. It's a deep deep trench on those days!
    Hopefully in time it will get better as they get used to everything.
    I guess I picked the right week to actually watch a Hallmark movie since the only one I've seen is The Christmas Ornament. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Christmas Ornament has been my favorite. Window Wonderland, not any good. Glad your church is growing and that you now have children. I'm sure you and the ladies will come up with some great ideas. Sleep well. love you, janet

    ReplyDelete